Obesity is one of the most significant health risk factors for humans, as it is not just excess weight that the patient wants to lose, but it is also one of the leading causes of cancer, heart disease, arterial blockages, liver dysfunction, difficulty in movement, and type 2 diabetes. In this case, bariatric surgery is the only solution to preserve the health of the obese patient and guarantee him that he can live without chronic diseases or pain. There are various bariatric surgeries to suit all obese patients with different conditions and medical histories. One of these surgeries is gastric sleeve surgery, the most suitable solution for obese patients who cannot control their hunger or food intake. The banded gastric sleeve surgery ensures the preservation of the new stomach size after the sleeve surgery and Gastric Bypass using the smart stapler, which we will explain in detail.
What is gastric bypass surgery?
Gastric Bypass is the isolation of the upper part of the stomach, called the pouch, as the only place to receive food and drink which reduces food intake in general, thus helping to lose weight. Then, reconnect this pouch to the last part of the small intestine, avoiding the absorption of most nutrients, especially sugar, making gastric bypass surgery one of the most important and successful surgeries that eliminates type 2 diabetes.
What is gastric bypass surgery with a smart stapler?
The gastric bypass surgery is performed conventionally in addition to using the smart stapler to close and staple the stomach to ensure the success of the procedure and avoid any leakage or bleeding that may occur.
What is the smart stapler?
The smart stapler is a breakthrough in the world of bariatric surgeries, as it is similar to artificial intelligence, where the stapler collects all the information about the stomach, such as the thickness of the stomach tissues, its total size, and the optimal shape after performing the gastric bypass surgery, then provides a report with all the details of the patient's stomach for the surgeon to use in stomach stapling to complete the surgery successfully and safely.
Types of stapler cartridges:
• Blue: suitable for stomach tissues with a small thickness.
• Yellow: suitable for stomach tissues with a medium thickness.
• Green: suitable for thicker stomach tissues.
The most significant advantage of the different cartridges and their suitability for various sizes and thicknesses of stomach tissues is to avoid any leakage or bleeding during or after the surgery, ensuring complete success for the gastric bypass surgery.
What are the advantages of the smart stapler?
• A completely safe technique that does not cause any complications or infections, where the stapler cover is changed for each patient.
• Avoid any leakage or bleeding after the gastric bypass surgery.
• Reduce stomach problems after the gastric bypass surgery, such as reflux, pain, vomiting, and indigestion.
• Precise selection of the stapler cartridge avoids complications of leakage and bleeding, which pose a danger to the patient's life.
• The smart stapler also has the advantage of safely and successfully redo bariatric surgeries in the event of a failure of the first surgery.
Who needs gastric bypass surgery with a smart stapler?
• Type 2 diabetes patients.
• Patients with hypertension and heart disease.
• Patients with spinal and joint problems due to obesity.
• Whose body mass index (BMI) is over 35 kilograms or 30 kilograms in the presence of other chronic diseases such as hypertension and diabetes associated with obesity.
• Those whose first gastric bypass failed.
Advantages of gastric bypass surgery with a smart stapler:
• Permanent and safe elimination of obesity and excess weight.
• Elimination of type 2 diabetes.
• Treatment of some chronic diseases such as hypertension and heart disease.
• Treatment of spine, vertebrae, and joint pain caused by obesity and excess weight.
• Treatment of polycystic ovarian syndrome and infertility in women.
Pre-surgical instructions for gastric bypass surgery with a smart stapler:
• Fast for 12 hours before the surgery.
• Quit smoking for at least a month before the surgery.
• Provide your complete medical history and a list of all medications you take, such as diabetes and blood clotting medications.
• Perform complete laboratory tests.
Post-surgical instructions for gastric bypass surgery with a smart stapler:
• Follow the doctor's instructions for the foods allowed and not allowed after the surgery.
• Take vitamins and supplements for two years after the surgery and possibly continue taking them later, according to the patient's needs.
• Follow the nutritional plan for the first six weeks after the surgery.
Complications of gastric bypass surgery with a smart stapler:
• Flatulence and gases in the digestive system.
• Nausea and vomiting.
• Fatigue and dizziness.
• Sweating and an increased heart rate.
• Stomach acidity and esophageal inflammation.
• Bile reflux.
• Intestinal obstruction due to adhesions.
It is worth mentioning that you can avoid all of these complications by choosing a skilled and experienced surgeon and following his instructions and guidelines after the surgery.